Friday, March 7, 2008

Training Hearts to be Joyful.

Many have assumed at first sight that the term Lifestyle of Learning implies a willy nilly or undisciplined approach to parenting and education. Nothing could be further from the truth. As I am continuing my New Years goal of getting things back in order and re focusing on many good habits that have slipped out in the past year I am starting to focus on inner heart attitudes that both my children and I have slipped into sloppiness. These are the non negotiables that I have determined that I will not give in on. Child Training is important and quite honestly, not understood by many of us who tend to think spanking takes care of heart conditions, however corporal punishment is not training. Neither is training simply repeated practice but also holding ourselves and our children accountable. The following heart attitudes are in training right now at our house.

We will be happy in the morning, evidenced by smiling and polite respect when mom approaches sleeping children to get up in the morning. My approach is to firstly model this by my happy heart and then to hold each child accountable to do the same back to me and to each other.

I am also using tools- music can be a tool. We have a series that I have enjoyed for years called the Scripture Memory Series The one that I play every morning right now as I'm getting them up is the CD featuring Scriptures on Anxiety and its opposites-trust and joy.

Another tool is to train them in daily Bible reading and study as well, modelled and required by Mom (and Dad but even if Dad does not Mom can still be the major influence in her children's lives. )


Proverbs 12:25

Anxiety in the heart of a man weighs him down (causes depression)

but a good word makes him glad.


Proverbs 15:13

A joyful heart makes a cheerful face

When the heart is sad the spirit is broken.

Joy is a product of a healthy relationship with out heavenly Father. As my morning times are focusing on a disciplines of morning Bible reading, study and prayer (and journalling) I am focusing on establishing this habit firmly in my children's lives as well-thereby producing the fruit of JOY..... and a happy face, and then peace and blessing in our homes as well.

2 comments:

Joshua1:9 said...

I would be intersted to know more about the Scripture CDs.

What are they called and where do you find them?

Janet Langford, said...

Sorry for not leaving a link. I have had such trouble setting up my links lately that I have almost given up. It can take up to 15 min just to get one right, so I have tended to "do it later when I have more time" So I'll try again, let me know if you still cannot access any link and I'll keep trying another way-that's how you learn right?